Our Sister Water Beer Garden is back for 2022
Make a pint-sized difference when you support the School Sisters of St. Francis’ summer fundraising event!
Saturday, June 18
4 - 8 p.m.
St. Joseph Center grounds, 29th Street @ Orchard St.
How to Find Us
St. Joseph Center is located at the corner of Greenfield Avenue and Layton Boulevard (27th Street) on Milwaukee’s south side, just two minutes from the Mitchell Park Domes. Enter the beer garden at 29th Street and Orchard Street (one block south of Greenfield Ave.)
Where to Park
First-come, first-served free parking is available in the Nativity Jesuit Academy lot at 29th Street and Orchard Street, across from our grounds. Street parking is available on Orchard Street, 29th Street, and around the neighborhood. Parking is also available at the Sacred Heart lot—enter at 28th Street at Lapham Street. (Please note guests cannot pass through St. Joseph Center to the grounds west of the building.)
Because of construction at St. Joseph Center, there will be no event parking in the St. Joseph Center or Maria Linden Senior Apartments lots.
What's On Tap?
Your first beverage purchase of $15 includes a commemorative pint glass with our Sister Water Beer Garden logo. Refills are $8. Beverage options include two special beers that Lakefront Brewing Company is crafting for the School Sisters of St. Francis!
- “Ale Mary” a German-style ale that balances Pilsner malt and sharp noble hops in an easy-drinking, crisp-finishing brew
- “Our Lager,” an amber lager with a medium-light body and a dash of caramel malt sweetness, pleasing hop notes, and a crisp finish
We will also have root beer on tap, wine, other soft drinks, and water available for purchase.
Food options available for purchase include
- BBQ Shredded Chicken Sliders Plate ($10)
- Bratwurst Sandwich Plate ($10)
- Hot pretzels ($8)
Plates include condiments, chips, and a pickle. Cheese dipping sauce is available for purchase ($1).
Fun and Games
Guests are invited to try their skill and luck with bags (cornhole), giant Jenga, and Hammerschlagen (also known as “stump.”) There’s no cost to play, but donations will be gratefully accepted.
Why “Sister Water”?
The School Sisters of St. Francis are, as our name implies, an international congregation of Catholic women religious who follow in the footsteps of St. Francis and St. Clare of Assisi. We named our beer garden after “Sister Water,” from St. Francis’s “Canticle of the Creatures,” in recognition of how precious clean water is to all.
In the spirit of Francis’ and Clare’s emphasis on hospitality and care for the Earth, the proceeds from our beer garden will go to provide access to alternative clean energy, renewable bio-gas fuel, and pure water for people around the world who are served by our sisters’ ministries.
Here are just a few of the ways that thousands of the people served by our sisters around the world will benefit from the Sister Water Beer Garden fundraiser:
- Solar power for classroom lights, computers, and air conditioners in Raisen, India
- Filtration products that make contaminated water clean and drinkable in Paita, Peru
- New water facilities and tree planting in Tanzania
- A new borewell for our convent in Madurai, India
- A new solar panel system at our school in Bhopal, India
- A new borewell at our facility in Ranchi-Jharkland, India
- A solar-powered streetlight at our formation house in Narsinghpur, India
- A solar energy system at our formation house in Kanjikode, India
We invite you to stop by our information booth during the events to talk with our sisters and learn more about these ministries!
You Can Help!
In addition to your attendance, please help spread the word about our summer fundraiser! And for information about sponsorship opportunities or to make a donation, contact Kelly Nowakowski at email@example.com or 414-385-5347.
Tell your friends, bring your family, and enjoy a fun-filled night in our beautiful garden on Milwaukee’s south side.
Thank You to Our Sponsors!